Wednesday, November 12

1, 2, 3, 4, I declare a thumb war!

Somebody think he's cool!

I knew this day would come, but I don't think I was prepared for it to come so soon. The other morning Blake crawled into bed with me, "C'mon Mom, let's thumb wrestle." We've done this before, but this time was different. His hands were big enough that I couldn't reach his thumb if he held it back. I thought it didn't matter because he would never have the strength to pin my thumb down. I was wrong. The southpaw beat me with his right hand. My baby boy beat me at thumb wrestling. Twice. I had to have a rematch to make sure it wasn't a fluke.


My little cuddle-muffin back way back in the day


Another slap in the face, I mean another reminder that my baby boy is growing up. It wasn't so long ago that he would follow me around "uppie me, uppie me". The times are rare now when I get to carry him. When I do pick him up, I don't want to put him down. I am fully aware that he is indeed too big to be picked up. Each time I pick him up may be the last time.

A few months into our children's lives, it feels like they have been here forever. It is hard to remember what life was like before them. What it was like to sleep uninterrupted all night, maybe take a nap during the day, only worry about buckling yourself into the car, and of course going to the bathroom without an audience. Well, time flies when you are having fun and slowly but surely you start to get those things back. It is heartbreaking and exhilarating at the same time. They do grow up so fast.

If I want to win at thumb wrestling, I still have Paige. And if I want to carry someone, I can still throw her on a hip, for now anyway.

We were both sweating, my arm was about to fall off...and I loved every minute of it!


No comments:

Post a Comment