Tuesday, April 14

Running out of Milestones

We have been trying to get rid of the training wheels since last summer, but Paige was not having it. We tried bribery. We tried threats (mostly empty). We bought her a new pink bike to replace Blake's hand-me-down bike. She wore a helmet and gloves and tennis shoes and knee pads. I got a sore back from holding on to her as she went back and forth in the cul-de-sac. We "threw away" (empty threats, remember) the training wheels. She still didn't care. Did I mention the new bike has a basket AND the dangly pom-pom things on the handle bars. Paige was steadfast in her beliefs, who needs to bike when you can walk or rollerblade! It was so incredibly frustrating because we could tell that she COULD do it, but she just WOULDN'T do it. As soon as Henry or I would let go of the bike she would immediately fall over...and get hurt...and cry. We had all but given up.



The day Paige learned how to ride her bike.

Then came Saturday. It was a beautiful day so we decided to go for a family bike ride. Too bad for Paige, right? We told her she had one chance to try to ride her bike by herself or she wouldn't get to go on the family bike rides with us. (Side note: we make a LOT of bike trips to Dairy Queen in the summer so missing out on the bike rides is a pretty big thing.) She agreed to try. Paige sat on the bike and I gave her a good push. Guess what, that was it! Not only could she ride by herself, but she could stop by herself (without wiping out) and she could get going all by herself. In true to our family fashion, we took it to the next level. After she demonstrated her abilities for a total of about 3 minutes, we went on a 2 mile bike ride. No problems. The next day Henry took the kids on a 3 mile ride. All good. The following day, I had the kids bike along with me on my run. I haven't checked the mileage on it, but we are thinking it was around 3.5 miles. Paige and I did the same route again today. I think that is about her max distance since it just takes too much pedal power to get those little wheels to go long distances. And that is fine because I am a slow runner so it is just a nice casual bike ride for her and an easy short run for me. I love having another activity that we can do together. Paige is so stinkin' hilarious and this provides plenty of conversation time for the two of us without the distractions. My kids never cease to amaze me with their abilities, their drive, and their personalities. They are so fantastic (except for when they aren't so fantastic but fortunately that isn't very often) and they are growing up so fast.


Mr. Cool

Ms. Cool

It is definitely bittersweet. Learning to ride a bike is one of the big milestones. The sad part is that I am reminded that there aren't many "kid" milestones left. To top it off, in true break Mommy's heart fashion, Paige tied her own shoes today before our bike ride. Oh man. I may have to ban her from chewing gum for a few years so I can at least hold on to the 'learning how to blow bubbles' milestone. And, don't even get me started on kindergarten next year...I think I am going to go cry now...

1 comment: